1998 Toyota 4Runner Remote Programming instructions
Shear These Programming Instructions
1. Locate the ECU. It is a black box with 3 connectors and a recessed
green reset button. It can be under the drivers seat, under the drivers
side dashboard (near the fuse box) or behind the passengers right
2. Insert the key into ignition switch, and turn it to ON. Use a paper clip
or small screwdriver to press and hold the ECU's PROGRAMMING
SWITCH for 3 seconds. The STATUS MONITOR LED turns on for 5
3. YOU MUST PERFORM THE NEXT STEP WITHIN 5 SECONDS (if you
are programming multiple remotes, the following steps must be
repeated for each remote within the 5 seconds).
Press and release a REMOTE CONTROL's top or bottom button
The STATUS MONITOR LED turns off.
The Piezo chirper chirps once.
The exterior lights flash once.
4. Note that if you hold the remote top button in for too long, the alarm
will go off. Just press the top button to reset the alarm.
5. Turn off the ignition. The ECU will now operate with the REMOTE
CONTROL just programmed.